Current Perspective: Why I voted for Donald Trump

Piper Lewis, Digital Editor

I registered to vote when I was 15, eager to affiliate with the Republican Party.
Since third grade, I have observed what is going on around me in the political world. I remember the 9/11 attacks and how, from my kindergarten perspective, the Bush administration took control and let the world know that you do not mess with America.
That same year, I listened as my teachers scoffed at the TV on Election Day, saying we cannot suffer another four years with the Bush administration.
They talked about our president, the man I saw as a hero, like he had personally slapped each one of them in the face.
In that moment, I decided that I would never talk about our president that way, despite my personal feelings toward him or her. The president is the commander in chief and deserving of support and respect from the American people.
Needless to say, hearing my teachers say such nasty things during the Bush/John Kerry election left a bad taste in my mouth for the Democratic Party.

My political ideology
Moving along to fifth grade, Barack Obama had announced his candidacy for 2008 and my teacher at the time had picked—and expressed her excitement to vote for—him as an American to highlight during Black History Month.
I read about his life and political platform, and I came across a word I had heard before on the news: abortion. I clicked on the link and researched further. I came home from school that day in tears.
Until this time, I had not discussed many of my political thoughts with my family, but something about this facet of the political spectrum shook me to my core. I came to my family with questions, but how do you explain to a 9-year-old why someone would choose to have an abortion?
My question specifically was how a mother, in reference to my teacher, could ever support someone who was okay with terminating the life of a baby.
I continued my research on Obama, and though I earned an A on my report, I knew that there was a moral flaw within the platform of the Democratic Party that I could not get passed.
I was in seventh grade during the Obama/John McCain election and never missed a debate or press conference. This election really shaped my political ideology.
I knew that I was not in favor of abortion, but what was bigger to me was the economy. Falling back on basic economics, taking away so much of a person’s earned money to give to those not working kills the incentive for those hard working individuals to work hard.
Of course, taxes are necessary, as are some social institutions, but there are ways to save taxpayer dollars that are so obvious to me, like drug testing for welfare, workfare and thoroughly screening those on disability, that the Democratic Party continually opposes.
If the individuals receiving government benefits were only those in real need, there would be so much more money to allocate to them.
I want to help people who need help, not people who simply want help. Wouldn’t you hope that if you were in need of governmental assistance that there would be funds available to help you? What if there were no help to give because too many people abused the system?
I support regulating government benefits because that is the only way to help those who truly need it.
Though most of my beliefs are very much in line with the platform of the Republican Party, I am continually split on some social issues, especially the legalization of gay marriage.
I support equality for all and I rejoiced when every man and woman obtained the legal right to marry whomever he or she chooses. It continues to perplex me that such a belief is a partisan issue.
There is no criminal punishment for homosexuality; therefore, I do not see a place for government within it.
I wanted to highlight the lack of criminality because this argument is sometimes made by those who support abortion, but the act of murder as a criminal act in the eyes of those opposed cannot be ignored. Therefore, the legality of such an act is rightfully at the disposal of the government.

Why I voted for Trump
To be very honest, the most prominent reason I voted for Trump, besides agreeing with him ideologically, is that his opponent was Hillary Clinton.
I could not get passed the corruption of Hillary Clinton, ranging from the exploitation of Haiti to the death of an American ambassador under her orders.
She talks of her days as a Whitewater girl as if being connected to the scandal is something to be commended for.
She lied to all of America upon leaving the White House, stating that she and President Bill Clinton had not been making much money during his term in office. In fact, they were making hundreds of thousands of dollars by giving private speeches.
She said they were going to be living as the average American does.
She suppressed the rights of her husband’s sexual assault victims by threatening them until they recanted or by paying them for their silence.
To be honest, I really do not understand why she was allowed to run for president.
I have been looking forward to a woman becoming president since I was a little girl–occasionally having goals to be just that myself, and I knew that I could not vote for her.
She will tell people what they want to hear and change her opinion to suit anyone with a large checkbook.
I would never support a male candidate like that, so why should I settle for a female who does these things? Equality works both ways and all the time. It cannot be selective.

Trump’s appeal
When I listened to Donald Trump announce his candidacy, I agreed with the specific points he made about our economy. But more than that, I trusted his reasons for running for president.
This was not a calculated move that he conned his way into. He watched the American economy grow weaker for years, and once it got so bad, he decided that he needed to try to help.
I appreciate the selflessness he displayed and the enthusiasm he has for our country. I respect anyone who can clearly see that our country is under stress because I feel it and I see it all around me.
I am a college student trying to support myself as well as get an education. I work three part-time jobs while going to school full time, so I do not need the state of our economy to be sugar-coated.
President Donald J. Trump says he is going to be a president for all Americans. He has a plan to show college students that he really means it by implementing student loan caps and focusing on a student’s foundational educational experience.
Eliminating Common Core and the Department of Education on a federal level will give more rights to the states. States can decide how students will be observed and taught, at a pace that is best for them.
Standardized testing will no longer be a collegiate barrier. Students will succeed academically, starting in their early education, providing the opportunity for them to go to college on scholarship.
I also heavily support Trump in the legalization of medicinal marijuana, as it helps so many in their day-to-day lives.
He represents my viewpoints by being a hard-working man with a charitable spirit who genuinely wants to help American citizens in need.
As our president, it is his job to put the well-being of our country first. I welcome diversity and culture, the very principles on which our country was founded, but we are a country with laws, and those laws must be followed.
I believe in America and I believe in strong borders.

A simple unifier
The country is divided over Trump’s win. I think a simple unifier is understanding that we really are all in this together.
Every American citizen will be governed under the same president with the same laws, so take a step back and decide to work your hardest and do your best.
It also is reassuring to think about how little daily life will change. For me, I am still working the same three jobs, attending the same school and living in the same apartment.
I also find comfort in the notion that our great nation has been through so much. We have survived wars and enemy attacks, depressions and recessions. Our country is strong, and someone so full of patriotism can only make it stronger.
For those who are hesitant about the incoming administration, a basic understanding of the division of power is reassurance in itself. There are checks and balances specifically in place so that power is not centralized; hence, our judicial and legislative systems.
The best way to come together is to simply realize that everything will be OK, because it already is. Love those around you and continue to be the best individual you can be and our country will flourish.

Get behind the president
I absolutely would encourage everyone to get behind our new president because we are weakening ourselves by allowing our people to become divided.
If you love him, spread that love throughout your neighborhoods and workplace.
If you hate him, you probably supported Hillary Clinton, and even her campaign motto was “stronger together.”
Not only is it important for the states to remain united from an outside prospective, but the point of all of this is to be happy.
America will be a much happier place as we all come together in acceptance of things we cannot change and passion to grow in ways that we can.