AACC set to host ’17, ’19 Lax tourneys

Megan Ladabouche, Reporter

AACC will host the National Junior College Athletic Association Women’s Lacrosse national tournament in May.

The NJCAA asked Athletic Director Duane Herr to host the 2017, 2018 and 2019 national tournaments. Herr said he declined the 2018 offer and accepted the invitation for 2017 and 2019.

Herr said the college bid on the tournaments in late 2015.

The NJCAA considered the community that surrounds the college, the condition of the athletic fields, the size of the facility, the amount of staff support and the technology available, according to Herr.

“[The NJCAA] wanted to make sure its [tournament location] is appealing for the community involved, but
also for the national stage,” Herr said.

Herr said the athletic department will assemble a tournament staff this semester.

Women’s Lacrosse head coach Jim Griffiths said it takes a lot of work to get ready for the tournament.

“Obviously it’s exciting to host it, but it’s a big responsibility and a lot of work for our athletic department,” Griffiths said. “Provided we make it to nationals, it will be a big advantage to play at
home.”

A lot goes in to hosting a national tournament, Herr agreed. The responsibilities include finding a speaker, booking a hotel for a banquet, setting up film crews and reaching out to the community through the campus public relations department, and arranging for crowd control and organization the weekend of the tournament.

“It’s more than just a normal game for us, but once Saturday and Sunday come and all those things are in
place, then it just becomes the normal set-up,” Herr said.

The Women’s Lacrosse season starts March 5.