Student organizations are doing big things

Tony Petro, Club News Editor

AACC’s Advisory Council chose a new district senator Monday during their monthly meeting.

Student Government Association Treasurer Adam Hertz nominated Garrett McGirt to be a new district senator for the SGA and Advisory Council. McGirt said he wasn’t surprised by the nomination because he had previously expressed his interest in the position to Adam.

“I decided to become a senator so I could have a chance to share my ideas and open my big mouth,” McGirt said. “I am interested to see how this goes, but it’s really no big deal. It should be a breeze.”

The Advisory Council also approved the constitution for a new club Young Americans for Liberty.

YAL had their constitution approved by SGA two weeks ago, but an approval from the Advisory Council is also required.

After the constitution approval, the senators all presented the upcoming events for the student organizations within their district.

The History Club announced their Dec. 6 film viewing party. Students watched Field of Dreams and discussed how baseball plays an important role in history.

On Dec. 7 there was a Unity Rally at 11:30 in the quad behind the Humanities building. The rally was a safe space for everyone to come express their feelings and discuss the election results. The unity rally included a wall where you could put words of kindness, and messages of peace.

“This rally was brought together by students who have seen and experienced hatful messaged after the election,” Chris Storck, director of student engagement, said.

Also on Dec. 7, the Student Education Association also hosted an adopt-a-family wrapping party where you wrap presents for a family.

Dec. 8 the Campus Current are hosting a special guest speaker, the head of the broadcasting department for the University of Maryland, during their weekly meetings in Humanities 206 at 3:15.

The Riverwhips Auto Club is hosting their monthly meet and greet on Dec. 13th where people can go and admire cars and meet new people.

The Campus Activities Board finished their last event of the semester last week with the Breakfast with Santa, but for the Spring semester the CAB members already have a few events planned including a talent show, a field day and more.