Poll: Food options fine

Brad Dress & Amanda Haney, Reporters

Students at AACC said they are mostly satisfied with the food selections on campus.

In an informal poll of 22 students on campus last month, 13 said they enjoyed the food options here, five said they are dissatisfied and four said they do not buy their lunch on campus.

“For the past two and a half years the food options have gotten better,” Aris Solomon, an aerospace engineering major, said.

AACC’s main campus has three dining locations: The Hawk’s Nest Grill & Deli in the dining hall of the Student Union building; a limited-menu Chick-fil-A in the atrium of the CALT building; and a Subway on the first floor of the Careers building.

Chick-fil-A is the most popular option among the students in the poll.

However, Chick-fil-A on campus does not offer its famous waffle fries, and according to freshman Jaila Ennis, a forensic science major, “Chick-fil-A should have French fries.”

Sophomore Khadean Coombs, a transfer studies major, said Chick-fil-A fare does not taste like the food from the chain’s full-service restaurants.

Six of the students said they would like to see options such as Chipotle, Starbucks, Firehouse Subs and Einstein Bagels on campus.

Amanda Kissinger, a second-year transfer studies major, said not many healthy options are available.

In a second informal poll of 10 students regarding the Hawk’s Nest, seven said the prices were too high.

“The Grill is too expensive,” Ben Brown, a first-year business major, said.

“It’s like eight bucks for a sub. Come on now, can you make it like four at least?”

“I don’t know how much consideration they take in the fact that we are on college-level student budgets,” Will Deibert, a second-year transfer studies major, said.

Seven of the 10 students said they would eat at Subway or Chick-fil-A instead of the Grill.