AACC women’s basketball team looks forward to new season

Photo by Britney Pieraldi

The Women’s Basketball team prepares for the season ahead.

James Whitley, Reporter

AACC Women’s Basketball head coach Lionel Makell said last year’s 5-19 season was a learning experience.

“I thought we had a pretty good season for what we had,” Makell said. “We played Montgomery [College], who is normally the front runner in the conference. We had them up through three and a half quarters. We had six girls [playing in that game] and they ran out of steam. But it is what it is.”

After their first three scrimmages of this semester, Makell said he and the players are optimistic heading into the season.

“They are coming around [with] everyone dealing with their schedule and stuff,” Makell said. “Getting everyone at practice so we can gel is the biggest thing we come across.”

Makell said he is confident of the team’s veteran leadership.

“My sophomore leaders are Jasmine Wallace and Alexis Evans,” he said. “You can tell who has played college ball before. Everyone else is brand new to the college game but they are all playing hard, working hard, doing what they’re supposed to.”

Evans, a returning sophomore, averaged 12.4 points per game last season.

Director of Athletics Duane Herr praised the team’s work ethic.

“Character times a hundred,” he said of the team. “They have the most character, and most sportsmanship of any program, always no matter what their situation is,” Herr said. “I think they have potential. They’re always motivated and always positive.”

Herr also praised Wallace, one of the sophomore team leaders.

“She is mature and a hardworking student athlete,” he said. “She is going to rally the troops.”

According to Herr, Makell, along with Wallace, will keep the team positive.

“Under our head coach … [they are] always in the proper mindset,” Herr said.