Summer Fun in the Sun

Miguel Valarino, Reporter

Attention all of you zombified Monster and coffee drinkers: Summer’s upon us! Which means that now you are able to watch season 5 of Game of Thrones on Sunday nights without the stress of knowing that you haven’t finished your take-home exam yet.

Here at the Campus Current, we understand how important it is to enjoy every minute of a well-deserved break after a solid year of anxiety, successes and failures. Everyone deserves a break after a very stressful year, and we’ve got a list of things that can help you become the fat and lazy cat that we know you have the potential to become!

Go to concerts:

One of the great advantages of living near the nation’s capital is the fact that world-renowned bands and artists frequently come to our backyard to perform. Why not join in on the fun this summer?
On June 9, Florence + The Machine will be at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia. On June 10, Mumford & Sons will follow Florence + the Machine, and music’s new golden boy, Hozier, will be playing on June 20. Other concert halls to think about visiting that are a tad cheaper than the Pavilion are the 9:30 Club in D.C. which has featured indie performers such as FKA Twigs, Matt & Kim and Two Door Cinema, The Hamilton in D.C., or Rams Head in downtown Annapolis.

Missed Coachella this year? Let your inner flower child bud at some of these can’t-miss music festivals:
If you have 300 buckaroos lying around, don’t just lay on it, go let loose at the Firefly Music Festival in Dover, Del. The event, running from June 18-21, gathers major talents such as Morrissey, Kings of Leon, Zedd, The Kooks, Steve Aoki, Snoop Dogg, The Killers, Bastille, and of course the headliner, Sir Paul McCartney.

For a cheaper, more local experience, the Merriweather Post Pavilion will be hosting the Sweetlife Festival in Columbia on May 30 and 31. In this 2-day event, you will be able to enjoy some of the most delicious meals made by local food trucks and popular chefs while listening to the music of a fantastic lineup that features Kendrick Lamar, Calvin Harris, The Weeknd and more.

Suns out, Guns out:
Ocean City is Maryland’s best secret and joke so if you can’t make it to the Virgin Islands this summer, get on down there for some good old boardwalk fun.

Free DC:

Washington D.C. is a great place, mostly because it has a lot of free stuff. The Smithsonian museums are great to explore in your day off because you can learn from many different cultures and important historical facts for zero bucks.

However, if you’re not a fanatic of museums, the city has many free festivals happening during the summer that are aimed to attract both tourists and locals and spread some culture in a fun way.

The Source Fest is happening from June 5-28 and it brings performing and visual arts shows created by playwrights, musicians and filmmakers from across the country.
AFI DOCS happening from June 17-21 will bring international documentary films to the community alongside renowned artists and political leaders.

The Smithsonian Folklife Festival will take place from June 24-28. This year’s festival will bring the flavors and sounds of the mystic land of Peru to the National Mall.
The Capital Fringe Fest will bring the best of contemporary theatre into the DC Metropolitan Area. It will run from July 9-26 and, because the festival celebrates its 10th anniversary this year, there will be an extension week from July 29 to August 2.

Feeling a little wanderlust after locking away your compass for so long? Hit the road. Go and travel! Have the time of your life behind the wheel with some good friends!
Last year a group of my friends decided to follow the steps of the famous writer/poet Jack Kerouac and embarked on a trip similar to the one depicted in “On the Road”. From Maryland to San Francisco, they drove almost 5,000 miles with the goal of visiting beautiful cities and falling head-first in love with the country they grew up in. Traveling is one of the most fulfilling activities that a human being can do in this life so if you have the means and the time, go and explore the world this summer!

Be one with the birds and the bees and the trees. Go hiking/camping/fishing:
I recently watched the movie “Wild” starring Reese Witherspoon and since then I haven’t been able to stop thinking about finding a life-changing experience. After doing a little bit of research, I discovered the existence of the Appalachian Trail which goes from Springer Mountain in Georgia all the way up to Mount Katahdin in Maine. The idea is to walk the entire trail by yourself without giving up. The trail passes through the states of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
If you think that walking 3500 kilometers across America sounds like an impossible task, I’d also recommend calling a group of friends and go out camping in one of the many national parks that are located here in our state.

Go to the theatre:
Lastly on our list, go to the theatre. Although this isn’t something that can only be done in the summer, neither are any of the other things of this list. There is nothing more fascinating and enriching than watching a live performance. From a small community theatre drama to a big and exciting musical production such as “Wicked!”, the theatre will always be there to brighten up your day.

The city of Annapolis presents a very peculiar experience with its famous outdoor theatre in the Annapolis Summer Garden Theatre at 143 Compromise St. This summer they will be presenting three musicals that are perfect to watch with the whole family: “The Mystery of Edwin Drood” from May 28 to June 20, “Catch Me If you Can” from July 2 to July 25, and “The Addams Family” presenting from August 6 to September 6.

If you think it’s difficult to find good theatres in the area, I’d also recommend you go to the Colonial Players in Annapolis, Studio Theater in DC, Spotlighters Theatre in Baltimore, and if you’d like to enjoy a live show while enjoying a good meal, The Murder Mystery Company shows in venues around Baltimore.