President of AACC Dawn Lindsay May Be Leaving

Dawn+Lindsay

Dawn Lindsay

Cori Eriksen, Reporter

UPDATE:
President Dawn Lindsay will be staying at AACC after contemplating taking on the position of presidency at Northen Virginia Community College

Her contract was extended by the Board of Trustees by five years and she received a $14, 000 pay raise.

Lindsay’s new contract begins on July 1.
—-
Northern Virginia Community College is looking at four finalists for a new president, one of which is AACC’s own president, Dawn Lindsay.

“The State Board has certified finalists for the position of president at North Virginia Community College,” NOVA said in their press release.

Lindsay, president of AACC since Aug. 1, 2012, has been nominated by a colleague who thought she would be a good fit for the position of president at North Virginia Community College (also known as NOVA).

“There’s an incredibly strong pool [of finalists] to take the position,” said Jeffrey Kraus, Asst. Vice Chancellor for Public Relations of NOVA. “We think that there are some really strong candidates in there and your president is one of them.”

Lindsay, in addition to being the current president of AACC, was previously superintendent and president of Glendale Community College in Glendale, CA from 2009 to 2012, where she also served as executive vice president in 2009 and as vice president for instructional services from 2007 to 2009.

“My passion and work commitment is to the mission of the community college system,” said Lindsay. “I have served in the system for over 25 years.”

The press release for NOVA says that the State Board for Community College is considering Dr. Eugene V. Giovannini, of Gilbert, AZ; Dr. Scott Ralls of Raleigh, NC; Dr. Walt A. Tobin, of St. Matthews, SC; and our president, Dawn S. Lindsay.

Northern Virginia Community College has campuses in Alexandria, Annandale, Loudoun, Manassas, Springfield and Woodbridge, and is the largest higher education institution in Virginia and the second largest community college in the nation.

NOVA is “known for their commitment to students, their reputation for excellence and demonstrated responsiveness to the communities they serve,” said Lindsay. “Their values and mission are similar to ours but on a much larger scale. NOVA serves 100,000 students over 6 campuses and 3 centers.”

Lindsay says she is not sure what the outcome of this will be, but wants to assure us that her focus remains on AACC.

“It is important to me to assure you I was not looking to leave AACC…it remains a privilege to represent this college as your president,” said Lindsay.