“In Arnold they Call it their Crabcake”

Jaso Bolay

The Vagina Monologues will be performed on March 12 at 7 p.m.

Helen Nguyen, Reporter

For the ninth year, young women will grace the stage at AACC to discuss their coochie snochers, pussycats, crabcakes, honey pots and “down theres.”

The Vagina Monologues will be performed on March 12 in the Pascal Theater.

“Hearing about different women’s experiences gives us the tools for a deeper understanding of others and of ourselves,” said Heather Rellihan, associate professor and coordinator, gender and sexuality studies and the co-director of the Vagina Monologues.

The play is a series of intimate monologues about different women who share their sexual experiences and sexual identities.

“I just feel like it really brings to light a lot of issues that women have with their bodies.” Said Nicole Tedesco, a former student of Coastal Carolina University with a major in philosophy and one of the actresses of the Vagina Monologues. “It just really helps women to know that they are not alone with a lot of issues their face.”

In a culture where women are constantly socialized to not have a voice or opinion about their own bodies and sexuality, the Vagina Monologues gives these women an outlet to speak and gives the audience a chance to be a part of this liberating and empowering experience.

“I like that the play gives voice to many different women’s experiences.” Said Rellihan. “All of the monologues deal with the same general topic, women’s bodies and sexuality, but through the various voices you see that these experiences can be positive, negative, complicated, confusing, empowering, and sometimes all of these things at once.”

The monologues will be a part of Women’s History Month and all of the proceeds will go to the YWCA to fund their services survivors of rape and domestic violence. In the nine years that the Vagina Monologues has been played at AACC, it has raised $10,000 for the Y.

“For those who become a part of the show, this is always a powerful and positive experience.” Said Caroline Woolson, associate professor of philosophy and co-director of the Vagina Monologues. “We laugh, we cry and we bond. And we learn a little bit more about ourselves. I think that anyone who comes to see the show will have a similar experience.”

The play isn’t only targeted at women there is an open invite for those without vaginas.

“My boyfriend actually came to see the play last year and he said that he didn’t realize all of the shit that women go through with their vaginas,” said Tedesco.
The play is on March 12 from 7 p.m. to 9:30 for $8 in the Pascal Theater.