When life Catches Fire

Madison Marmen, Reporter

“If we burn, you burn with us.”

These words were spray-painted on an arch in St. Louis. In Thailand, protesters were arrested for using a three-finger salute to show their resistance to the government. Although occurring on opposite sides of the world, these two instances have one thing in common: “The Hunger Games.”

People around the world have become infatuated with “The Hunger Games” series. In 2012, millions gathered in movie theaters around the world to see Jennifer Lawrence wear Katniss Everdeen’s signature braid and witness the citizens of District 12 use the three-finger salute. The salute, which is originally a sign of admiration for a person, turns into a symbol of rebellion in the series.
This year, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1,” the first part of the final installment of the film series, dominated the box office. The film opened on Nov. 21, and earned more than $690 million worldwide. The film continued to stay at the top spot of the box office over the Thanksgiving holiday. In other words, these films never seem to fail.

“It’s something everyone can enjoy,” said Cassie Poell, a freshman at AACC.

Nick Nadeau is a huge fan of The Hunger Games franchise and can not wait for the last movie.

“The Hunger Games,” “Catching Fire” and “Mockingjay,” written by Suzanne Collins, tell the story of a teenage girl who lives in post-apocalyptic North America. The country, titled Panem, is separated into 12 Districts. Each year, one boy and one girl from each district are chosen to fight to their death, in the Hunger Games.

The series explores the ideas of justice, love, and sacrifice through the main characters’ struggles.

Like many fans of the series, Poell admires Katniss’ courage.

“I like how brave she is and how much she loves her family and is willing to do anything she can for them,” she said.

It is this bravery that inspires people all around the world to stand up for their beliefs.

“We can identify with the difficult situations she is put in, and in some ways I think we all hope to be like her,” said Cynthia Aika Jones, a sophomore at AACC. “She’s a strong, empathetic, and beautiful character.”

This strong character provides hope for audiences who are discouraged by what is going on in the world today.

“Sometimes the world is a very scary and difficult place that, for many of us, puts us in a position when we feel very powerless,” said Dr. Matthew Yeazel, an associate professor of psychology at AACC.

It is because of this reality that many people “connect with a heroine like [Katniss] in ‘The Hunger Games,’” said Yeazel.

The character of Katniss resonates with people around the world, from Thailand, to St. Louis, to Anne Arundel County.

“I think she is a good role model because she sticks up for what she believes in and she doesn’t let people walk all over her,” said Nick Nadeau, a sophomore at AACC.

In the series, Katniss refuses to let President Snow control the lives of those in Panem. When she sees that Snow has bombed a hospital full of injured citizens, she tells him: “If we burn, you burn with us.” This phrase clearly has become a popular slogan for those who are fighting for social justice.

One of the main reasons why “The Hunger Games” is a popular series among children and adults is the outlet it provides for fictional escapism.
“We need to recharge our batteries,” said Yeazel. These types of stories are “very important because escape is good.”

Many people turn to books and films as a way of distancing themselves from reality, but there must be a reason why so many people turn to “The Hunger Games” in particular.

“It inspires people to fight for justice and there’s so much injustice in the world that it gives people a reason to speak out for issues,” said Poell.

While other series tackle the concept of good versus evil, “The Hunger Games” series gives its fans the push they need to stand up for what is right.

These books and films have inspired others to “create some sort of justice in a situation that seems almost hopeless,” said Yeazel.