The Mindset of a Winner

Justin Smith, Reporter

The pressure to perform well on the field, in the classroom, and to be a team captain can sometimes be too much for a student-athlete to handle, but not for Brent Orbell. Athletic Director Duane Herr has selected Orbell as the Anne Arundel Community College student-athlete of the month for December. Herr speaks very highly of him as well.

“Just seeing his impact on the baseball program last year, and then his ability to step in as a freshman on the soccer field, lead the team, while being a positive role model and then an overall achiever as an All-American is, a big achievement for him and for the\ program,” said Herr.

Orbell played in attack for the men’s soccer team and played an important role for
them last season.

Overall it was a great season for the men’s team that finished as runner-up in the
regional tournament. Their final record was 14-6 (6-5).
But it wasn’t all smooth sailing. The team started off by losing four of the first six
games of the season.

“Early in the year we had some chemistry issues and my main goal was to keep the
peace and get everybody back on the same page for the back end of the season,” said Orbell.
The way Orbell helped lead the team through these issues made him an easy choice
to be one of the team captains.

Another thing that made the choice easy was his mindset. “I go into every game with the mindset to win,” said Orbell. “I always do my best and give 100 percent all game and whatever happens happens.”

On the field, Orbell led the men’s soccer team last season with 11 goals, including 4 gamewinning goals. He was also tied for second on the team with five assists. He was named first team All Region and second team All-American,

“For me winning the award was exhilarating,” said Orbell. “I’ve played soccer since I was 3 and to be honored with some of the best players in DIII Juco Soccer feels amazing. But being an All-American shows more about the team and coaching staff than myself. Being pushed by teammates and coaches to be the best you possibly can is the only way to even have a chance to win awards like these.”

Off the field, Orbell is working towards a finance degree. He said the hardest part about being a student athlete is finding the extra motivation to do homework and study. He later added that being an athlete helps keep him focused on getting his degree and keeping his GPA up.

As well as playing soccer, Orbell also plays baseball for AACC. Last season, the
baseball team finished with a record of 18-19 (13-13).

“We anticipate a much better year end result this upcoming season,” said Orbell.

“This team has a lot more chemistry. We connect better on and off the field and regardless of skill that’s what wins games.

Orbell is ready to get the baseball season going.

“The season opens Feb. 21 at home,” said Orbell. “I’m excited but it’s gonna be a cold one. We play Mercer Community College. I can’t wait!”