1

Students wear merch for fav sports teams

Mason Hood
Students on AACC’s campus wear merchandise to show support for their favorite sports teams.

Now that the weather is warming up and jackets are coming off, more students are showing support for Maryland teams by wearing Baltimore Ravens and Baltimore Orioles jerseys and caps to classes.

Kyle Schechter, a first-year electronics engineering technology student, said he wears Orioles merchandise for the “support of my team. I like to rep the apparel.”

Schecter, a lifelong Orioles fan, said watching the baseball team is a huge family tradition.

“My parents actually postponed their honeymoon to go to Cal Ripken’s record-breaking game … which is unheard of,” Schechter said. “So the Orioles are definitely big to our family.”

Ripken played his 2,131st consecutive game on Sept. 6, 1995, breaking Lou Gehrig’s major league baseball streak.

Aiden Morgan, a first-year undecided student, said he wears Orioles merch because the baseball team represents the state.

“They really represent Maryland as a state better than the [Washington] Nationals,” Morgan said. “To me the Orioles means happy summer days, watching baseball and enjoying baseball.”

Morgan added: “I’ve been an Orioles fan my entire life and I’m very loyal. And so I represent the Orioles every day [by wearing a] hat.”

Caden Mewshaw, a first-year undecided student, said he wears Ravens clothing because football is “unique” compared with other sports.

“I got into football when I started playing fantasy [football] and [the Ravens] was just the home team,” Mewshaw said. “But I started to really like the team once I started learning more about the players.”

Danielle Beach, a 10th-year elementary education student, said she wears Ravens gear because she grew up watching the football team.

“My family’s really into football,” Beach said. “I grew up here in Maryland, so the Ravens were my team.”