1

Students sell goods, conduct business at trade show on campus

Courtesy of the Entrepreneurial Studies Institute
Students became vendors at this year’s HawkTrade event.

AACC’s Entrepreneurial Studies Institute hosted a trade show on campus on April 11 to help students launch their small businesses.

Most of the vendors at HawkTrade were business students who sold their products to other students in order to earn money and get exposure.

“It’s part business and part educational,” business professor Stephanie Goldberg said. “It started out as an event created by my small business marketing class. … It was a service learning project.”

ESI hosts the expo for AACC student businesses once every semester to give new entrepreneurs a place to practice talking to customers and understand how to run a business.

“It gives students a low-risk opportunity to practice talking to customers, displaying what they are selling or sharing, it gives them an opportunity to make money,” Goldenberg said.

Timara Lau, a second-year business student, sold candles at HawkTrade.

“I thought it would be a good starting place because I’m doing a bunch of other fairs,” Lau said, “And I thought it would be good practice and also a chance to get sales.”

Judi Peveto, an American Sign Language student who sells jewelry and crocheted items, said HawkTrade would be a good place to start her business.

“I really like the community at AACC and this was a free show that I could do,” Peveto said. “I’ve enjoyed going to Entrepreneurs Club and this is one of the shows they really promote there.”