1

AACC bookstore now offers Carhartt brand

Mason Hood
The campus bookstore sells attire from the casual wear line Carhartt. Shown, second-year homeland security student Philip Michaels in a Carhartt-brand hat.

Sales of clothing at the AACC bookstore have more than doubled, thanks to the addition of the popular casual wear line Carhartt in November.

Manager Christopher Walsh said the bookstore sold $20,579 worth of clothes between November and January, compared with $9,665 during those same three months last year.

“I had to do a reorder for the brown hoodies, which has been my most popular one, within two weeks of bringing Carhartt in,” Assistant Manager Sarah Pries said. “Once the brown hoodies sold out, the black hoodies started going really fast. So the reorder has been very helpful.”

Carhartt is an American unisex apparel company founded in 1889, known for heavy-duty work wear such as jackets, coats, beanies and sweatshirts.

Sales of Carhartt wear grew by $600 million nationally last year, according to career search site Zippia, partly because celebrities like Bella Hadid and Kanye West have been wearing it.

Pries added that the bookstore started selling Carthartt because it’s a popular brand with the younger generation.

“My boyfriend wore Carthartt a lot and he was the person who influenced me into it,” first-year nursing student Andrea Cruz said, “and now I have a lot of Carhartt in my closet.”

Cruz added she loves to wear Carhartt because of how comfortable and high quality the clothes are.

Some students said they didn’t know that the bookstore sells Carhartt.

Second-year undecided student Emely Torres said she would be interested in checking out the bookstore for Carhartt beanies.

Carhartt hoodies sell for $80 at the campus bookstore; crewnecks go  for $70; long-sleeve tees, $45; short sleeves, $40; and beanies, $35.