1

College joins ntl. coalition

Mason Hood
AACC is the only community college in the Rochester Institute of Technology’s cybersecurity coalition.

AACC in December became the only community college in a coalition for cybersecurity education aimed at addressing the cybersecurity talent shortage.

The school’s selection for the Rochester Institute of Technology’s coalition came after the National Security Agency designated AACC as a National Center of Academic Excellence.

The aim of the coalition is to help veterans transition to cybersecurity careers.

“It can be difficult for transitioning veterans, when they get out of the military, to find purpose,” cybersecurity professor Mary Wallingsford said. “This allows them the opportunity to find another purpose.”

The coalition is funded by the NSA and includes six other colleges aside from AACC and RIT — University at Albany, Louisiana State University, Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico, Iowa State University, Norfolk State University and University of North Florida.

First-year cybersecurity student Lily Davis said she knew nothing about the coalition at first, but supports the idea.

“I think that’s one of the best things you could do, especially for veterans who have trouble finding new jobs,” Davis said. “So knowing the flexibility of cybersecurity, I think that’s wonderful.”