1

Super Science Club visits the National Aquarium

Photo courtesy of Heather Riordan
The Super Science Club traveled to the National Aquarium on Friday.

A group of students went to the aquarium to see the jellyfish, sharks, stingrays and other animals.

The Super Science Club took eleven students, most club members, to the National Aquarium. 

“I love the aquarium,” Bryant Pepe, the president of the Super Science Club, said. “The aquarium itself is a fully immersive experience where you see a lot of things that you generally might not even see in the wild in your lifetime, along with many endangered animals.”

This is the first time the club has been to the National Aquarium, but their third field trip since the fall semester.

Kyra Box, a first-year environmental science student, guided students through the aquarium.

“I loved it,” Box said. “I liked the area in the shark alley, and the blacktip reef. I especially liked the adaptation exhibit with the mantis shrimp. The mantis shrimp was one of my favorites.”

Pepe, a third-year earth science student, said his favorite part was the reef tank.

“I could live in the deepest part of the reef tank,” Pepe said. 

Box said that the club is a good way to connect with the community.

“The club is a lot of engaging with members of the community,” Box said. “Like the students of the college come here and they may learn more than if they hadn’t gone to the club. … I think it’s a different way to educate people but it’s just as effective, maybe more sometimes.”