The award-winning newspaper of Anne Arundel Community College.

Ads
  • At Soapbox Sisters, one of the events for this year's Women's History Month, students will perform speeches and poems by women.
Club Ads
Recently on Instagram
Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
1
Recently on Twitter

‘Hawks sports teams start spring training

Second-year+information+student+Megan+Meek+prepares+for+the+first+lacrosse+game+of+the+season%2C+which+will+be+on+March+24.+
Tope Ayokunle
Second-year information student Megan Meek prepares for the first lacrosse game of the season, which will be on March 24.

Student athletes and coaches said they believe they have what it takes to make it to the national championships this year.

The men’s and women’s lacrosse teams, along with the baseball and softball squads, began practicing for the spring season in February. Those spring sports began in February, except for women’s lacrosse, whose first game is on March 24.

“Above all, I want to win,” midfielder Sam Barrett, a third-year transfer studies student and returning lacrosse player, said. “Win the national championship, go to the tournament, just … compete at the highest level with the best teams.”

Jeremy Ross, the head coach for men’s lacrosse, agreed.

Ross, a former AACC lacrosse player, said he expects the best from his players to reach the national championship.

“You just need to be the best team at the end,” Ross said, “playing your best lacrosse when it comes to that time of the year.”

According to Barrett, the main focus is “growth” and “getting good chemistry.”

“We want to compete while having fun and [grow] closer as teammates because we’re a family,” Barrett said.

The men’s lacrosse team played its first regular season game on Feb. 24.

Nick Hoffner, entering his fourth year as the baseball coach, said he wants his athletes to play their best baseball at the end of the season to advance to the Maryland Junior College Athletic Association playoffs.

“We want to continually get better as the season progresses,” Hoffner said. “That’s what we’re looking to do each and every [day].”

The baseball season kicked off on Feb. 3 with a home defeat to Surry Community College.

“Everyone expects [you] to do good,” Nicco Holland, a first-year criminal justice student and newcomer, said. “You learn from the mistakes that happen when you build off them.”

The softball season began on Feb. 27 with two home games against Monroe College.

“For some of us, it’s our last year,” catcher Jocelyn Degeyter, a second-year chemistry student and returning softball player, said. “So you want to end on a high note.”

Infielder Jayden Buchanan, a second-year nursing student and returning player, said “communication is huge for [teamwork].”

Softball head coach Guy Klingensmith said fundamentals are significant in success.

“If you do things fundamentally wise and you execute … you’re going to do OK,” Klingensmith said.

Women’s lacrosse begins on March 24 against Howard Community College.

“We have 12 newcomers and four returners,” women’s lacrosse head coach Jim Griffiths said. “It’s definitely a [new] beginning.”

Defender Megan Meek, a second-year information systems student and returning lacrosse player, said teamwork is vital for success.

“Our team chemistry is already very good this year,” Meek said. “Team chemistry is one of the most important things [in] hard work.”

Assistant Athletic Director Hillary Fisher said the upcoming season could be “very excit[ing].”

“All our events are free. Come out and cheer on your friends,” Fisher said.