The award-winning newspaper of Anne Arundel Community College.

Ads
  • At Soapbox Sisters, one of the events for this year's Women's History Month, students will perform speeches and poems by women.
Club Ads
Recently on Instagram
Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
1
Recently on Twitter

Students create collages at “Build a Vision Board” event

Divine Mesumbe
Four students make a collage called a “vision board.”

Students made their own collages to represent their goals for the new year in the Student Union on Tuesday.

The Transfer Studies Department hosted the Build A Vision Board event where students made “vision boards,” a type of collage where magazines, markers and glue sticks are used to represent their ideal 2024.

“It’s a playful, fun way of making a reminder of what’s important to you,” Suzanne Spoor, an English professor, said.

The Swoop Sweethearts event overlapped with Build A Vision Board, which brought more students according to Darius Cureton, an assistant English professor.

“People were already here,” Cureton said. “So they [could] come over and spend a little more time with us.”

Cureton said the event appealed to “all four facets” of mental health.

“There’s something to be said about school-life balance,” Cureton said. “We should care about their mental health, their physical health, their emotional health … [and] even their social health.”

Spoor said the event is meant to help all students.

“We want to help students in every field, not just transfer studies,” Spoor said. “It helps keep students motivated to know … their goals.”

Third-year transfer studies student Will Mumford said he came to the event to make connections and enjoy himself.

“I just think it’s a fun way to connect,” Mumford said.

Second-year engineering student Paul Singleterry said he enjoyed making his vision board.

“It was fun looking for pictures and fun thinking about what I would put on there,” Singleterry said.

Singleterry added a picture of plants to his vision board because they were “in order.”

“I like to have order in my life,” Singleterry said. “I [also] find nature very beautiful.”