1

Students paint rocks, enjoy donuts at back-to-school event

Mason Hood
Students paint pet rocks and enjoy donuts at the “Adopt-A-Rock” event hosted by OSE.

AACC’s Office of Student Engagement hosted an event for students to paint a pet rock home while enjoying hot beverages and donuts on Wednesday.

The “Adopt-A-Rock” event is the third of the four events OSE will host to welcome students back to campus for the spring semester. 

Sarah Orvis, the graphic designer for OSE and organizer of the event, said that painting rocks gave students who are nervous about participating in an art event freedom.

“Sometimes art related projects can make people feel a little nervous if they’re not someone who does a lot of art stuff,” Orvis said. “But I think with pet rocks, there’s so much freedom that everyone can just sort of relax and have fun and not feel pressure.”

Maddie Chim, a first-year architecture and interior design student, said the event was a nice opportunity to talk to friends and do something between classes.

“I like that I can talk to my friends and enjoy a little activity together in between classes,” Chim said. “It’s making me feel really happy right now and I’m enjoying myself.”

Kaihler Devereaux, a graphic design student, agreed.

“I guess it’s kind of, like, they bring me a kind of, like, a sense of community,” Devereaux said. “I get to meet and make more friends and meet up with friends.”