1

New dental program needs accreditation

Adobe Stock photo
The college’s new dental hygiene program will begin once the Commission on Dental Accreditation approves its accreditation.

AACC’s dental hygiene program, set to begin last September, has not started because of a delay in the accreditation process.

The program, which eventually will offer an associate of applied science degree, will include a five-semester curriculum and differs from the noncredit dental assisting program AACC already offers.

The noncredit dental assisting program consists of a lab, lecture and a workforce success skills course.

“I can tell you that the dental assistants that I know in the area are very excited for this program to open so that they can come and get their degree in dental hygiene,” School of Health Sciences Dean Elizabeth Appel told Campus Current in April 2022.

Tonya Jeffries, AACC’s director of dental education, said in an email the program’s start depends on the accreditation process by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. 

But without the proper accreditation, college officials are unsure of when the program will be approved and classes will begin to run.