1

Stadium, track close for light replacements

Mason Hood
Siegert Stadium will be closed until the end of the semester so Facilities can replace the overhead lights around the playing field.

AACC’s Facilities Department closed Siegert Stadium and the track around it on Nov. 14 to replace the floodlights.

The field will reopen temporarily on Nov. 22 and 23 for the AACC Turkey Trot and for good by the end of the semester.

AACC will replace the light bulbs with LEDs to be more energy efficient than the existing metal halide lights, according to Facilities Executive Director James Taylor, who estimated the cost at $240,000. The closure primarily affects the soccer and lacrosse teams, which usually practice and play in the stadium.

“It really doesn’t impact us from the standpoint of team practices because there are none right now,” Jim Griffiths, the head coach for women’s soccer and lacrosse, said. “The [old] lights were good but … LED is going to make a huge improvement in the visibility [and] appearance of the stadium.”

The soccer team ended its season in October, and lacrosse will not start until the spring.

Chet Lawrence, AACC’s project manager, said he scheduled the work to minimize the disruptions to the sports teams.

“We have to coordinate, make sure that we’re not interfering with any athletic activity out in the field,” Lawrence said.

Soccer and lacrosse player Bailey Healy said she is glad the stadium is getting new lights.

“I can speak … for most lacrosse players where I can say it’s so hard to see the ball at night,” Healy said. “For soccer it didn’t impact us as much but definitely for lacrosse, like, because it’s a smaller ball. It’s hard to see.”