1

Science club tours Air and Space Museum

AACC students tour the National Air and Space Museum during the Super Science Club’s field trip on Saturday. Photo courtesy of Anthony Santorelli

The Super Science Club saw airplanes, rockets and hot air balloons during a field trip on Saturday.

Nine AACC students, faculty and community members toured the Dulles National Air and Space Museum, and then ate at a nearby Shake Shack.

“It was beautiful,” Effie Gentry, a third-year landscape architecture student, said. “I got to see solar injections, coronal ejections from the sun, really cool planes and learn really neat things.”

This is the second field trip the Super Science Club has taken this semester. On Nov. 4, club members visited the National Zoo to say goodbye to the giant pandas before they left for China.

Alex Bradford, a second-year plant science student, said her favorite part of the museum outing was seeing the Blackbird plane.

“It’s so much bigger than I thought it was going to be, honestly,” Bradford said. “I feel small. And some of [the planes] make me feel really big though, actually.”

Super Science Club President Bryant Pepe guided the group on the tour.

“I have, just, an extensive knowledge of stories and facts to go with a lot of these aircraft and airframes,” Pepe, a third-year earth science student, said. “And I’m just really looking forward to guiding more people along that tour.”

Kyra Bos, a first-year environmental science student, said she “loved the field trip.”

“It was great,” Bos said. “I didn’t actually expect it to be that fun because I was thinking it would be a small section for, like, space stuff. That’s what I really like but I liked everything there.”