1

Sports gamblers say bets can be addictive

Adobe Stock photo
Some students are gambling on sports games, but warn their peers that it can result in addiction or overspending.

Sports fans at AACC are betting on games, but advised their peers to beware of overspending or becoming addicted to gambling.
Some students said betting on games lets them win some money and feel like they are a part of the game.
“It makes watching the game more enjoyable,” Ronald Turner, a first-year business student, said. “It feels like I can put myself in the sport almost more than just watching it.”
Maryland voters approved sports betting in November 2020, and online sports gambling became available a year later.
Gamblers cannot bet on community college games, but they can place wagers for contests in the major leagues and Division I four-year colleges.
Student gamblers cautioned others to be careful with their betting habits.
“It can be an addiction. You shouldn’t do it,” Edgar Garcia, a third-year transfer studies student, said.
AACC Athletic Director Duane Herr added, “I’ve seen people be successful at it and certainly supplement their income. And then I think you certainly have to be cautious and know when to kind of ease off of it.”
Read the full story at www.TheCampusCurrent.com.