1

Arnold campus home to blue-tailed skinks

Blue-tailed+skinks+are+slithering+around+all+over+the+Arnold+campus.+
Adobe Stock image
Blue-tailed skinks are slithering around all over the Arnold campus.

AACC’s campus is a habitat for thousands of blue-tailed lizards known as five-lined skinks, according to a biology professor.
Professor Benjamin Weibell said the Arnold campus’s proximity to a forest and two streams makes it a comfortable environment for the lizards, which can be found on both the east and west sides of campus, including in grassy areas, close to the water and near the greenhouse behind the Health and Life Sciences Building.
“There is an amazing amount of wildlife on this campus,” Weibell said.
Five-lined skinks are the most common type of lizards in Maryland, Weibell said. He called the skinks “harmless,” noting that students are more likely to injure the lizards than the other way around.
The skinks prefer to eat live prey, like insects, said Weibell, who noted the lizards can grow as long as five to nine inches.
Weibell said the campus is also home to snakes, birds and all kinds of insects.
“We would like to create a species list for this campus,” Weibell said.
Students said they see the striped lizards crawling on the ground from time to time and find them interesting.
“They’re interesting to look at,” Jessica Steward, a physical therapy student, said. “People should take a moment to love and observe them.”
First-year biology student Salali Walden said students should leave the lizards alone.
“Proper handling is necessary,” Walden said.
Emily Notaro, a zoology student, said she loves the lizards and would be sad if they left the campus. “They give me encouragement to study my major,” Notaro said.