1

Men’s, women’s basketball start season Nov. 1

Everett Luoma
The AACC men’s and women’s basketball teams will start their season Nov. 1 with games at Penn State.

AACC’s men’s and women’s basketball teams will each begin their seasons Nov. 1 at Penn State York.

Women’s basketball will begin the season with six eligible players on the roster. Two are returning players, while the others are entering their first season.

“The ceiling is high,” women’s head coach Lionel Makell said. “But the problem is that we have limited numbers as far as players. We have the talent, but, you know, we need bench as far as when they get winded.”

Players said conditioning is important in order to play full games.

“Conditioning [is] such a big thing for us,”guard Leila Townsend, a second-year transfer studies student, said. “We got to make sure that we’re able to stay the full game.”

The team will play in Division II this season for the first time. Most Riverhawks teams moved up from Division III this year.

Makell said the change in division has not shaken the confidence of him or his team.

“We just moved up to Division II, so it’s going to be a different level,” Makell said. “It’s going to be a challenge, but we’re up for it.”

The players agreed with their coach.

“I’m not too worried about it, honestly,” forward Ayannah Gorham, a first-year criminal justice student, said. “I’m going to be on the court with my friends, my teammates, my girls, so it’ll all just come together.”

Gorham also said students and faculty at AACC should come to home games to support the team.

“Come out and support us,” Gorham said. “These games are going to be real nice. You’re going to have a fun time; we’re going to have a fun time. I want to see everybody out here in the stands cheering us on.”

The men’s basketball team will begin the season with three returning players and six, first-year athletes.

Men’s basketball head coach Joe Snowden said his team is young but is playing well together. 

“I’m really excited about the team,” Snowden said. “As a whole, they’re playing well together. They are in good harmony right now.”

Snowden said the speed of the athletes will be a key for their playing style.

“I have good speed,” Snowden said. “We’ll use a lot of speed, presses and runs.”

Players agreed.

“Our biggest challenge is our size,” guard Nicholas Augusterfer, a second-year transfer studies student, said. “We are a smaller team compared to the rest of the teams but we are definitely faster, quicker, and as long as we run them out the gym, we’re going to be able to win games.”

Augusterfer said despite lacking size, the men’s team can go all the way.

“We’re going to bring home the championship, baby,” Augusterfer said.

Snowden also urged students to attend home games. 

“The fans and students should come out and check a game out here and there,” Snowden said. “Don’t just hide away. Come on out and be a part of the festivities here when we have a game. Look at the schedule and be a part of it all.”