1

Students enjoy free food and celebrate traditions at Hallow’s Fiesta

Mason Hood
Students celebrate Dia de los Muertos and Halloween at the Hallow’s Fiesta event on Monday.

AACC students enjoyed free tacos and celebrated cultural traditions during the Hallow’s Fiesta event on Monday. 

The event hosted by SGA showcased elements of both Halloween and Dia de los Muertos, a Mexican holiday also known as the “day of the dead.” Students participated in activities such as honoring loved ones who passed away by placing their pictures on an altar called an ofrenda.

Vanessa Cardozo, the SGA vice president of campus activities said she enjoyed planning the event because of the cultural significance. 

“I’m Mexican,” Cardozo said. “So there’s a Mexican tradition, having Mexican food, Mexican music, it just all felt really close to home and it was nice incorporating that in this school. There’s definitely a very small percentage of Hispanics in another community college. So it was nice to bring that culture in a little bit more.”

Grace Furdock, an engineering student, said she had a “good experience” both volunteering and attending the event. 

“The decorations are absolutely amazing,” Furdock said. “ I love how they, like, commemorated Coco because that’s a lot of people’s introduction to the day of the dead. And they also did some really fun events that incorporated, like, Halloween.”

Peter Chavez, a transfer studies student, enjoyed the free food and said “the tacos was hitting.”

Audrey Martin, a second-year massage therapy student’s favorite part of the event was the free food. 

View Comments (1)