1

2 new VPs complete SGA executive board

Courtesy of Sparsh Verma
First-year business student Sparsh Verma is the Student Government Association’s new vice president of public relations.
Second-year legal studies student Kojo Thompson is the Student Government Association’s new vice president of finance (Courtesy of Kojo Thompason)

The Student Government Association appointed two students as vice presidents last week to fill open positions on its seven-member executive board.

SGA President Zack Buster said the officers used interviews to select Kojo Thompson, a second-year legal studies student, as the SGA’s vice president of finance, and Sparsh Verma, a first-year business student, as the vice president of public relations.

“[There were] some vacancies when the semester started,” Buster, a third-year communications student, said, noting that too few candidates ran for the positions during the SGA’s spring elections. “I mean ideally, you would have contested races for all of the vice president positions.”

Thompson said his inspiration to be part of SGA was to “join in and get more active in whatever community I’m in [to] add value.” Thompson said he hopes  his time with SGA can lead to “[being] able to bring more people together.”

Verma said she joined because “I am a person who likes to manage and organize things very well … so I knew I needed to, like, improve my skills in the leadership field more.”

Buster said he likes both vice presidents “cared about the position and … were qualified enough to do the position well.”

SGA is still recruiting several senators, who will assist the vice presidents with events and business.