1

Students learn time management, organization skills

Students learned to manage their time and stay organized at an online event on Tuesday. Image courtesy of Kyle Godduhn-Braaten and Caitlin Silver-Negron

Two presenters told students not to sacrifice their happiness in order to be productive at a time management workshop on Tuesday.

About a dozen students attended the online event, hosted by First-Year Experience and the Office of Student Engagement.

“I think we both feel that time management is seen as almost like you’re doing something wrong and so you need to manage your time better,” Kyle Godduhn-Braaten, one of the presenters and AACC’s first-year experience specialist, said. “We just want to make it a bit more about giving yourself grace and maybe just trying to align your obligations with your values, and just make it more of a positive experience.”

FYE and OSE hosted similar time management workshops in fall 2022 and fall 2023.

Caitlin Silver-Negron, AACC’s basic needs coordinator and one of the presenters, said she was glad students felt comfortable speaking during the event.

“We tried to create an environment that felt really comfortable for everyone,” Silver-Negron said.

Godduhn-Braaten said the most important part of time management is to “be kind to yourself.”

“It can be really easy to fall into [a negative] mindset if you’ve missed a deadline,” Godduhn-Braaten said. “The reality is that we all drop the ball sometimes. We all forget about things, we all, maybe, don’t speak up as early as we should. And that doesn’t make us bad people, that doesn’t make you a bad student. … Give yourself grace, just, like, take a breath.”