The award-winning newspaper of Anne Arundel Community College.

Ads
  • At Soapbox Sisters, one of the events for this year's Women's History Month, students will perform speeches and poems by women.
Club Ads
Recently on Instagram
Something is wrong.
Instagram token error.
1
Recently on Twitter

Youngest-ever editor-in-chief to lead student newspaper

Payton Thompson
New Campus Current Editor-in-Chief Tomi Brunton is the youngest student ever to hold the position

A high school junior who takes courses at AACC became the youngest-ever editor-in-chief of the college’s independent student newspaper in August.
Tomi Brunton, 16, a home-schooled student, served as associate editor last semester after joining Campus Current as a reporter in fall 2022.
“Campus Current has become such an important part of my life,” Brunton said. “I think that as editor-in-chief, I will be able to give back to it in such a great way, and I think I’ll get so much more from it.”
Former Editor-in-Chief Sam Gauntt, then a high school senior, oversaw Campus Current’s May issue after third-year communications student Zack Buster resigned from the position to run for Student Government Association president. He won the election.
Gauntt now attends the University of Maryland’s journalism school.
Brunton’s plans for Campus Current include diversifying the newspaper’s staff and the range of stories it publishes.
“I want to look at the paper when I’m done and see a huge, diverse number of different stories all written by a huge, diverse number of different reporters,” Brunton said.
Campus Current faculty adviser Sharon O’Malley said Brunton’s positive energy and hard work made selecting an editor easy.
“I think that they’re going to be good for the morale and the culture of the newsroom,” O’Malley, a journalism professor, said. “They’re a hard worker. They’re going to get it done but we’re also going to have a fun club this year.”
Campus Current’s new associate editor, Izzy Chase, said Brunton’s young age could be an advantage for the newspaper.
“When you hear Tomi’s just, like, this home-schooled 16-year-old kid, maybe that doesn’t sound impressive, but when you really get to know them, they have such a strong work ethic,” Chase, a second-year transfer studies student, said. “They care about everyone so much.”
Brunton said the Campus Current experience has been “amazing.”
“Campus Current has given me so many amazing opportunities,” Brunton said, “like the incredible people I’ve met and incredible trips I’ve gone on.”

View Comments (2)