County executive presents FY24 budget

Anne+Arundel+County+Executive+Steuart+Pittman+presented+his+fiscal+year+2024+budget+to+the+County+Council+on+May+1.+Shown%2C+Pittman+speaks+at+an+event+at+Fort+Meade+in+June%2C+2020.+

Photo courtesy of USACE HQ/Flickr

Anne Arundel County Executive Steuart Pittman presented his fiscal year 2024 budget to the County Council on May 1. Shown, Pittman speaks at an event at Fort Meade in June, 2020.

Sam Gauntt and Izzy Chase

The Anne Arundel County executive on May 1 presented a fiscal year 2024 budget to the County Council that included a $1 million increase for AACC, less than the $5 million the college requested. 

To offset the cut, the college will decrease spending and generate an additional $1.7 million through increased enrollment and other revenue sources, according to Vice President for Learning Resources Management Melissa Beardmore.

“We requested a $5 million operating budget increase, and [County Executive Steuart Pittman] gave us $1 million,” Beardmore told Campus Current. “And we asked [the County Council] to restore $1 million of the $4 million cut. So they can take from other places and put that $1 million back into our budget, but they can’t add to the county executive’s budget–under statute.”

The Council will announce its budget decision by June 15.

AACC is funded by tuition and student fees, and state and county governments. 

The college’s Board of Trustees approved an operating budget of $134,475,700 in February, and requested Anne Arundel County to fund 40%. 

Beardmore said if the Council restores the $1 million to the budget, it would allow the college to hire more adjunct faculty and fill vacant staff positions. 

However, Beardmore said, the college will be able to operate even if the cut remains. 

“Our operating budget is, you know, $130 million,” Beardmore noted. “So, you know, I’d like to have the million dollars, but I believe that we can make do within our budget.”

Some students objected to the proposed cuts to the college’s budget.

Laniya Harris, a second-year communications student, said she thinks decreased funding could affect students. 

“I think that’ll definitely affect the students,” Harris said. “I think we should definitely invest more money, especially in our teachers. They do a lot for us.”

Steve Vo, a second-year media production student, said he thinks the change “would have a detrimental impact … especially if there’s going to be, like, additional fees within classes [and]  other club activities.”