Riverhawks softball to play Hawks in postseason

Photo courtesy of Kelly Hurd

The Riverhawks will play the College of Southern Maryland Hawks tomorrow in the National Junior College Athletic Association Region 20 Division II play-in game. Shown, right fielder Courtney Croson, a second-year transfer studies student.

Dan Elson, Sports Editor

The Riverhawks softball team will play in the National Junior College Athletic Association Region 20 Division II play-in game tomorrow. 

The Riverhawks will play the College of Southern Maryland Hawks, who finished 7-15 in the regular season.

“It’s another accomplishment we gained this year,” head coach Guy Klingensmith said. “We did it last year. It’s a big goal for us to do it again this year. … We’re able to take care of business.”

The Riverhawks finished 12-15-1 in the regular season. First baseman Kendall Thomas led the team with a .494 batting average and led the squad with 25 RBI’s. Infielder Jaclyn Nevins led the team with four home runs. Outfielder Alyssa Smith scored 27 runs to lead the Riverhawks.  

Right fielder Courtney Croson, a second-year transfer studies student, said the team “can hang with any competition that we have.”

Klingensmith said pitching is a “key contributor” to winning in the playoffs.

“Hopefully our [four or five] pitchers … can come in and do well,” Klingensmith said.

First baseman and pitcher Makayla Blake agreed.

“It’s going to be a pretty big factor because there’s a lot of good hitters,” Blake, a first-year transfer studies student, said. 

Nevins finished 7-6 in the regular season with a 4.46 ERA to lead the Riverhawks.  

Reporter Micah Smith contributed to this article.