Race for VP of campus activities contested

Two+students+are+running+to+be+the+next+Student+Government+Association+vice+president+of+campus+activities.+

Sam Gauntt

Two students are running to be the next Student Government Association vice president of campus activities.

Sierra Barnes, Reporter

Besides the race for the Student Government Association president, only one other campaign in this year’s election has more than one candidate.

SGA is holding elections this week until Friday. Two candidates are running for president, first- year engineering student Rabiyatou Bah, 19, and second-year communications student Zack Buster, 20.

Two students are running for vice president of campus activities: second-year nursing student Vanessa Cardozo, 20, and first-year paralegal studies student Ashley Flores-Gonzalez, 19. 

First-year marketing student Mya Williams is running unopposed for the position of vice president of DEIA. 

“I want to help students at AACC feel included and like they are part of the college,” Williams, who is an SGA senator this semester, wrote in her candidate bio. “My platform includes being an advocate and helping to create a community and help different groups of people feel seen while encouraging others to know and understand backgrounds different from theirs.”

Three other vice president slots are open but do not have candidates.

Cardozo said she is running for vice president of campus activities “to change that narrative that you can have fun in the community college. You can build connections at a community college. You can still do all those things while you’re saving money, and you’re still close to home or you’re so close to wherever, you know, you live.” 

Flores-Gonzalez agreed.

“What makes me want to run is to create a fun, positive and diverse community in the college,” Flores-Gonzalez said. “So if I basically became vice president, I would like to make fun events for students to enjoy their college experience.” 

Flores-Gonzales, a Mexican-American, said she also has the goal to “show my … colleagues about my culture and by becoming [vice president], I would love to plan diverse events for the students to enjoy and learn the beautiful culture.”

Cardozo said another of her goals is to survey students about what kinds of activities would get them more engaged with the campus.

“I know that surveys may not be everybody’s favorite thing to do,” Cardozo said. “But it is very helpful to try and reach that goal that everybody wants.”