AACC Athletic Department adds 2nd trainer

Photo courtesy of AACC Athletics

The Athletic Department hired a former AACC athlete in March as its associate athletic trainer and strength and conditioning coach. Shown, Tori Alexander.

Dan Elson, Sports Editor

The Athletic Department hired a former AACC soccer, lacrosse and cross-country player in March as its associate athletic trainer and strength and conditioning coach.

Tori Alexander, who earned a bachelor of science degree at Berry College in Georgia, will join forces with athletic trainer Amber Stanley, who is the coordinator of sports medicine and student athlete welfare. 

“I definitely think having a second trainer here is going to be super helpful to take the load off of both of us,” said Alexander, who earned a master of science degree at Texas A&M University. “I came from [the Community College of Baltimore County] Essex, where it’s just a single athletic trainer system. And coming here definitely allows for a little bit better work-life balance.”

Alexander, who attended Seton Keough High School, replaced Aaliyah Odom, who became the assistant athletic trainer and student success coach at Chesapeake College in October. 

Athletic Director Duane Herr said Alexander, a former transfer studies student at AACC, brings a “wealth of knowledge” to the job. 

“She was voted by her peers as the Athletic Trainer of the Year [in the] Maryland [Junior College Athletic Conference],” Herr said. “So that speaks volumes to her abilities.”

Basketball forward Malik Carroll, a first-year nursing student, said Alexander’s hiring makes it “easier to get treatment. It’s quicker because we have more help. So I feel like it’s beneficial overall for everybody.” 

Alexander said she’s excited to come back to the college. 

I was able to make a lot of really good relationships and I’m hoping that I’m able to do the same thing in the professional setting,” Alexander noted.