Riverhawks golf to play 1st tournament on March 30

The+Riverhawks+golf+team+will+play+up+to+seven+tournaments+this+season.+Shown%2C+second-year+business+student+Connor+Hackett.+

Dan Elson

The Riverhawks golf team will play up to seven tournaments this season. Shown, second-year business student Connor Hackett.

Dan Elson, Sports Editor

Riverhawks golf head coach Dave O’Donnell said his goal for the season is to win the National Junior College Athletic Association Region 20 Division III championship. 

The Riverhawks golf team will play up to seven tournaments this season. The first one is on March 30.

“We have a very competitive team this year and we have a lot of folks who are going to have a chance to play in tournaments this season,” said O’Donnell, who’s in his second year as head coach. 

The squad has seven players on the roster—two of them returners.

Returner Austin Smith said he’s excited about the team’s potential. 

“I think we’re a better team this year,” Smith, a second-year psychology student, said. We have “more young talent, more refined talent.” 

Last year the Riverhawks finished second to the Butler County Community College Pioneers in the NJCAA Region 20 Division III golf championship.

O’Donnell said the team will win tournaments by scoring low. 

“We have a team that’s more than capable of reaching those expectations,” O’Donnell said. “I’m excited to be back.”

Second-year business student Connor Hackett, who will compete his first-ever college golf season, said he would like to score in the “high 70’s, low 80’s and just see myself improve match by match.”

The Riverhawks will play on golf courses that have 18 holes.