Esports gains female member, goes co-ed

Mason Hood

Third-year teaching for secondary education student Kimberly Betters plays Overwatch on the Riverhawks esports squad—the college’s only co-ed varsity sports team.

Aidan Gunn, Assistant Sports Editor

With the addition of a female student to its roster, AACC’s esports team became the college’s only co-ed varsity sports team last semester.

Esports head coach Conway Johnson said the squad, whose three teams, Rocket League, League of Legends and Overwatch, compete against other colleges, has always been open to all students.

“Once everyone’s sitting [with] their keyboard and mouse at the ready … everyone’s just gamers at that point,” Johnson said.

Kimberly Betters, who competes on the Overwatch team, said the esports coach and players have welcomed her.

That’s not the case on some other teams, Betters said.

“Overall, I feel like women aren’t exactly encouraged [to play],” Betters, a third-year secondary education student, noted. “Everyone likes to say [they are], but when you’re actually in the game, it doesn’t feel like it. It feels like you’re an outsider. So I wish that aspect of gaming and esports would be better. But in AACC I don’t feel any of that. I feel included.”

Johnson said Betters, who began playing video games at age 4 on the Nintendo Entertainment System, is a consistent player.

“I … can’t speak more highly of Kim as a player,” Johnson said. “She’s fantastic.”