Students meet with college reps. at Transfer Fair

Students+speak+with+college+representatives+at+a+transfer+fair+on+Thursday.+

Jakobe Walker

Students speak with college representatives at a transfer fair on Thursday.

Vance Wild, Reporter

Students met with representatives from local colleges and universities at a Transfer Fair in the Health and Life Sciences building on Thursday. 

Attendees at the event spoke with representatives from colleges such as Salisbury University, Frostburg University and University of Maryland, Baltimore County about what credits they took at AACC can transfer, what the application process is like and what academic programs the schools have.

“The goal of the fair is really just to get information to students,” Eileen Harrington, an academic adviser at AACC, said. “So finding out what schools there are out there for them, opportunities, application process, scholarships, all of that.”

Some college representatives who attended the event said they hoped to recruit students. 

“We are hoping to recruit some transfer students from this university,” Gabriella Schaeffer, a representative from Catholic University in Washington, D.C., said. “We are excited to meet with prospective students.”

Nicole Lee, a representative from Coppin State University, said the main goal of the event was “to expose [AACC] students to Coppin State University.”

Harrington said the Transfer Fair, hosted by Academic and Transfer Advising and Student Success, was held in-person for the first time in three years. 

“The Transfer Fair, we’ve been doing this for many, many, many years,” Harrington said. “We haven’t done it for the past three years in person because of COVID. This is our first time back in person.”

Some students said the event was helpful. 

“There’s a lot of people here you can talk to, a lot of resources that they give you.” fourth-year transfer studies student Bethany Bessling said. “So it seems like it’s going to be helpful.”

First-year film student Briggs Phillips said he attended the event “to look at some schools.”

“I looked through the college list before I came here, and a few of the schools I already had interest in and I did some research on. So I came here to find out more.”

Faculty from AACC’s Academic and Transfer Advising program. (Jakobe Walker)