Students prepare for $100,000 competition

Photo courtesy of Entrepreneurial Studies Institute

Students can earn up to $25,000 in prizes from the Business Pitch competition in April.

Tomi Brunton and Cole Popov

Entrepreneurial students took their first steps on Monday and Tuesday toward competing for scholarships and cash prizes to help them start their own businesses.

Stephanie Goldenberg, the academic director of entrepreneurial studies, told participants in two meetings, one online and one in person, how to prepare for the $100,000 Business Pitch in April. Aspiring business owners can win up to $25,000 from that competition.

“I’m just really excited that students are pushing themselves to compete, not just for the funds, but for learning and for growing and progressing on their business ideas,” Goldenberg, who is the project manager for the Business Pitch, said. “I think this is a really good process for them to get the feedback and get expert advice so that they can make big strides in their business.”

Business Pitch contestants will work with business coaches and attend workshops on resume writing and sales pitches to prepare for the April event.

This year is the 20th anniversary of the Business Pitch competition, which is open to all AACC students.

Peter Papa, a second-year business administration student, said he is “feeling good” about his chances in the competition.

“But … all I want is for everyone to have a good time and for all of us to help our community,” Papa said.

Christopher Taylor, a volunteer mentor for students participating in the competition, said he loves coming to AACC for this competition.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Taylor said. “This is a great community college and I find students that are doing this are all motivated, and that’s what’s so much fun about it.”

Ron Parker, who is working toward a entrepreneurship certificate from AACC, said he joined the competition to get “information” on starting his business.

“I’ve spent all my life being a great asset for other companies, and it’s time for, you know, individuals [to] start becoming great assets for themselves,” Parker said.