AACC eats fresh; Subway to reopen

Subway

Sam Gauntt

The Subway located on the bottom floor of Careers, which has been closed since 2020, will reopen on Tuesday.

Sam Gauntt, Managing Editor

Thirty-four months after it closed, the Subway in Careers reopened on Monday. 

The sandwich restaurant, located on the bottom floor of Careers, will serve food from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday for the rest of the semester.

“I think it’s great,” Events and Food Services Manager Peter Kaiser said. “The hours should be stable, depending on what the traffic is. You know, if they get a lot of people [at] 4 o’clock, then they stay open till 5. If people start falling off at 2:30, they may close at 3 like Chick-fil-A. But … that’s what they’re starting with. That’s our plan.”

Subway will join Chick-fil-A and the Hawk’s Nest, now open on Fridays, as one of AACC’s three main food options. Chick-fil-A, on the bottom floor of the Health and Life Sciences building, is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The Hawk’s Nest, in the Student Union building, is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays.

Some students said they plan to eat at Subway. 

“I’m pretty excited about it because we have more options to eat,” first-year finance student Stiven Llano said. “It’s pretty tiring, just like having two places. But with this, I guess, I’m gonna start eating more here.”

Kaiser said Subway had several things the store had to do before reopening, such as hiring employees, and repairing and inspecting equipment. 

“Part of the process was that they were having trouble getting staffing, but the other process was because we shut down from COVID, so all of the machines over there were idle,” Kaiser said. “So they had to get some …  repair work done. … But then, once they get all of that done, they have to then have the Health Department come in. …  And so that’s what they were waiting on. It was the reinspection.”

Kaiser added the store’s owners, Sherri and Rob Anderson, would “be happy to hire students,” as employees. 

“It’s good to see, like, different things here,” first-year undecided student Patrick O’Malley said. “Like free-market competition for the cafeteria. I’d prefer it if it wasn’t a Subway to be honest. I’m not a big fan. But I mean, it’s nice that it’s there, rather than be nothing.”

First-year transfer studies student Austin Clow said he would like to see a cafe or deli come to AACC.

This story has been updated.