Auditions begin for spring theater

Flickr photo

The Theatre at AACC is holding auditions for the spring play, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. Shown: a University of Utah performance of the play.

Tomi Brunton, Associate Editor

The Theatre at AACC is holding auditions Jan. 27 for the absurdist tragicomedy “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.”

Auditions are in the Kauffman Theater at 6 p.m. today. Students also can audition on Jan. 28 by requesting a time from Urbantke.

“Yes, it’s nerve-racking,” Sean Urbantke, a performing arts professor and faculty adviser for the Moonlight Troupers theater club, said. “It can be scary, but we’re rooting for you. And if you forget your lines in the middle of it, just [ask], ‘You know what, can I start again?’ … Just deliver us what you can deliver.”

“Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead” was written by Tom Stoppard in 1966. It focuses on the two titular characters, who are minor courtiers in the Shakespearean play Hamlet.

“It’s got comedic elements, it’s got tragic elements,” Urbantke said. “It’s somewhere between an Elizabethan period play and a contemporary play. And it doesn’t shy away from human truths.”

Urbantke said he is looking for “any and everybody” to audition.

“The way that the show is written, it’s more about being human and fate,” Urbantke said. “We’re looking for a solid cross-section of humanity, as much as we can get, anyway. … Anybody can come in and audition. Anybody can come in and volunteer [to be] on crew. … People can come in and just be a part of it.”