Riverhawks baseball to play 52-game regular season

Dan Elson

The Riverhawks will start its season in North Carolina against the Surry Community College Knights on Feb. 4. The team will play a 52-game regular season.

Dan Elson, Sports Editor

The Riverhawks baseball team will play a double-header in North Carolina against the Surry Community College Knights on Feb. 4 to start its season.

Last year the Riverhawks finished 10-38 during the regular season.

“We’re … looking to build off of what we did in the fall and continue to get better,” Nick Hoffner, who is in his third year as head baseball coach, said. “And to keep playing better baseball as the season progresses.”

Utility player Ethan Grieb, a second-year transfer studies student, said the Riverhawks are “ready to win [and] ready to compete. … It’s going to be a grind, but we got this. We got what it takes.”

Infielder and pitcher Andrew Leginze led the team in 2022 with 43 hits and a .299 batting average. Outfielder Nicholas Toskov led the Riverhawks with 22 stolen bases last year. Overall, the Riverhawks had a team ERA of 9.64 and batting average of .233.

Second-baseman John Greenawalt said he expects the pitching to be more “solid” than last season.

Hoffner said the 10 returning players will “be looked at as like the leaders of the team.”

Right-handed pitcher and infielder Brady MacDonald said the team could win at nationals this season.

“Junior College World Series, here we come,” MacDonald, a second-year business student, said.