Students: Your Vote Matters

Flickr photo

Every student should vote this November. Your vote matters now more than ever.

Editorial Board

Imagine how much you could accomplish if you got to choose who makes the decisions that directly affect your life.

Well, you can.

That is, you can if you vote.

Every time you walk into a voting booth and check the box next to the name of the candidate of your choice, you are using your voice as a citizen to change the course of your life and determine the future of your country.

However, many college students don’t check any boxes. They don’t vote.

According to the Institute for Democracy and Higher Education, only two-thirds of college students voted in 2020, and that was a record high.

In 2016, only 54% came out to the polls, according to the same report. That means almost half of all college students in the U.S. didn’t make their voices heard in choosing who would make decisions for their communities and families in the following years.

Imagine how much college students could accomplish if they made their opinions known on the ballot. 

For example, did you know that in this election, Maryland voters will decide whether the state will legalize recreational use of marijuana?

Would you like to have a say in that?

According to a study from Pew Research, one in every 10 voters in the 2020 election was a part of Gen Z. That 18-24 age range includes most college students.

That means if every college student voted, we would make up almost 20% of all voters.

Twenty percent is a large number of voters, more than big enough to sway elections. To put it into perspective, the 2020 presidential election was decided by less than 5%.

With so many election results being so close, every vote counts. Your vote counts. Your vote matters now more than ever. 

As a community college student, your vote is even more important to your family and your neighbors. That’s because chances are good that you live in the same area where you vote, so you are helping to select the local officials who determine the rules your community must follow.

And just because you aren’t voting for a president this year doesn’t mean this election doesn’t matter.

If you vote in November, you can help choose the governor, members of Congress, state legislators, county executive, County Council members and on and on.

In fact, we would argue this year’s local elections matter just as much as presidential elections.

Every candidate you vote for makes decisions that not only affect your home, but your school as well.

If you still don’t plan to vote, the question this election season isn’t why should you vote, but will you vote?

Please, get out there today and take control of your destiny.