Students to say ‘yes’ to marijuana question on ballot

Flickr photo

Maryland residents will have the chance to vote on marijuana legalization this election. According to an informal poll from Campus Currrent, almost 80% of AACC students said they support marijuana legalization.

Sam Gauntt, Associate Editor

AACC students said in October they plan to vote for a proposed Maryland constitutional amendment this November that would legalize recreational marijuana.

In an informal Campus Current poll of 56 students on the Arnold campus, approximately 79% of students said they favor legalizing marijuana. Another 7% of students said they oppose legalization, while 14% said they did not have an opinion. 

“I think it should be passed,” first-year media production student Elijah Gregg said. “It’s a plant, man, you know? Like, we already have alcohol legal. … Just let people do their thing. You know, they’re not hurting anyone.”

The referendum question–a question on the ballot in November designed to determine the voters’ will–would allow any Marylander 21 or older to legally purchase and use marijuana for recreational purposes. Medicinal marijuana has been legal in Maryland since 2013. 

“I just kind of see it … not so much [as] if it’s good or bad,” second-year business student Gabriel Da Rocha said. “I’m more against the reason why it was banned in the first place. I feel like there was a lot of misinformation about it at the time, and, like, now that we have a lot more research, it … should be more widely used.”

First-year arts student Aidan Graham said marijuana should be legal for those 21 and older, the same limit as alcohol. 

Some students said marijuana is less harmful than other substances. 

“I think that marijuana is a less harmful drug than alcohol,” third-year communications student Ada Lindahl said. “I think it should be legalized.”

Graham said legalizing recreational marijuana would be good for people with anxiety disorders who don’t have access to a medical marijuana card. 

To legally purchase medical marijuana, customers need an approved card from a doctor.

Recreational marijuana is “beneficial for a lot of college kids that are old enough for it,” Graham said. “I feel like it would be beneficial in that sense.”

Second-year business marketing and advertising student Jenny Robles said marijuana has different benefits and effects for people. 

“I think … some people benefit differently,” Robles said. “I guess it just depends on how the person is.”

Some students explained they do not want to see people incarcerated for marijuana-related crimes.

“I rather people not get thrown in jail for smoking pot,” fourth-year psychology student Greg Kaczorowski said. “If you want to smoke pot, go ahead. It’s up to the people, [and] as long as you’re not affecting others, you know, you’re fine. You can do what you want.”

Not every student in the poll favors legalization of recreational marijuana. 

Second-year business administration student Charles Conley said marijuana can act as a gateway drug.

“People who use it are more likely to get into more dangerous substances,” Conley said. 

First-year mechatronics student Kpokpa Grovogui also said he would not vote for legalization.

“I feel it depends [on] how people will be responsible for using them,” Grovogui said. “I’m really concerned about the abuse of it.”

First-year dental hygiene student Reni Zolt said legalizing marijuana is a “tough call.”

“I don’t think that it would be good,” Zolt said. “At least when there’s children … when their brains are still developing, they probably still shouldn’t be taking it. … It’s not really good to have marijuana in places where … it can be accessible to younger kids.”

Editor-in-Chief Zack Buster and Sports Editor Dan Elson contributed to this story