Students, faculty perform at Hispanic Heritage poetry slam

Thomas Ayers, Reporter

Half a dozen Latinx students on Oct. 11 read poems–some in Spanish and some in English– about their experiences with everything from chronic illness to raising children to personal development.

The readings were part of a poetry slam organized for the campus’s observation of Hispanic Heritage Month. Members of the 14-member audience were invited to read and listen as poet Juan Felipe Herrera shared a poem about a father and son separated by deportation.

Latinx Club adviser Samuel Cordero-Puchales, who hosted the event, explained he wants students to “use the poetry as a vehicle to,you know, talk too much about themselves, get them a little bit out of the shell, and to also develop the arts, especially in the area of poetry.”

Cordero, a student success and retention adviser, called the slam, which occurred in the Student Union building’s cafeteria, a “space of freedom”

Studio arts alum Orion Romero, who read a poem about an illness, said, “It was really hard to express, like, lthings that other people don’t understand.”

“There’s, like, a lot of stigma”“about like … people of color and showing emotions,” Romero said. “And that it’s supposed to be weak to show emotions and do your art.” 

Romero added, “It was really nice to see, like, people of color performing.”

Second-year business administration student Victor Javier Solis agreed.

“We could share about our futures, our origins and give us a voice in the community,” Solis said.