Riverhawks men’s and women’s soccer underway

Dan Elson

The Riverhawks men’s and women’s soccer teams started their seasons on Aug. 25.

Dan Elson, Sports Editor

Men’s soccer head coach Nick Cosentino will enter into his 17th year coaching the Riverhawks.

Last season the team finished 8-6. The Riverhawks lost 8-0 in the first round of the playoffs to Richland College. The Riverhawks played shut out the College of Southern Maryland Hawks on Aug. 25 4-0 in their first game of the season.

“We came up with a good season last year [and] we went to nationals,” Cosentino said. “And we have a solid core returning. We have some talented guys coming in. I’m anticipating a solid group again.”

Cosentino said he expects to have 22 to 25 players.

The team scored 28 goals in 16 games last season, an average of 1.75 a game. Forward Charles Warari led the team with six goals. Goalkeeper Zane Saab finished 5-4 with a 2.27 goal average and a .772 save percentage. Saab was selected for the Division III Second Team All-American. 

“I believe we’re going to be better than last year,” second-year health, fitness and exercise student Mason Switzer said.”

Switzer plays striker and defender.

Third-year health, fitness and exercise student Chris Koennel said the goal is to win nationals this season.

“Let’s just win,” Koennel, who plays right-back, said. 

Women’s soccer head coach Jim Griffiths will coach women’s soccer for the first time in six years. He coached the team from 2001 to 2016 and has coached lacrosse since 2004. The women’s soccer team lost 6-1 on Aug. 25 to the Hawks in their first game of the year.

“Between soccer and lacrosse the goal is always the same and that’s to be at the national tournament at the end of the year,” Griffiths said. 

This year, the women’s soccer team will compete against Division III teams. Last year the Riverhawks weren’t in any division type league. The team finished 4-4-1 and scored 22 goals in nine games with an average of 2.44 a game. 

Midfielder and forward Tori Minnigh led the team with five goals and three assists while goalkeeper Sarah Ward led the team with a 2.16 goal average and a .762 save percentage.

Second-year film student Ryann Brooks said the goal is to win nationals.

“I’m ready to bring home the title,” Brooks, a midfielder and forward, said.