Mental health is top concern

Frank Fitzgeralde Libom

Laniya Harris says taking a break from school can be good for a student’s mental health.

Laniya Harris, Reporter

Taking time out of your busy day to just think and try to understand what you are feeling is important during a time when life seems more stressful than usual for us students.

I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to deal with anxiety and depression while trying to keep up with all of the things that being a student can demand from you. 

For going on two years as we have dealt with COVID-19, things have not been easy.

Sometimes, though, just taking time to pay attention to my own mental health helps.

For example, I try to take things one step at a time. I stop for moments throughout the day to collect my thoughts or feelings. Sometimes I take a break and don’t do anything for just a little while.

Taking things one step at a time is the easiest way for me to stay on top of my depression. Sometimes I feel so down that getting up to go to class feels impossible, but I let myself know that if I can get up to go to the bathroom or if I can get up and walk into the kitchen, then going to class isn’t impossible.

One step at a time. 

When I feel overwhelmed, I listen to my favorite song all the way until it ends. That gives me time to collect my thoughts. It helps.

Finally, considering taking a break from school is an option.

In fact, sometimes the best way to make yourself the best student you can be is to take a break from being a student, whether it’s for one semester or longer. That’s what I’ve decided to do.

The most important aspect of being a student is keeping your mental health in good shape.

I hope to see you all next semester.