Students praise new Health and Life Sciences building

Jenna Lagoey

First-year elementary education student Miriam Zorc looks through a microscope in the new Health and Life Sciences building. Students tell Campus Current they are enjoying the new building.

Jenna Lagoey, Reporter

Students who take courses in the Health and Life Sciences building said they enjoy the sundrenched structure’s modern feel, open layout and large spaces.

Students told Campus Current in April they like the way they feel in the building.

“The bright colors, the windows … the vibe of the building, the fact that whenever I’m in here, people seem to come up to me more and just talk to me,” Cheynne Winters, a second-year transfer studies student, said. “Like people in here just want to talk to each other more.” 

The 175,000-square-foot, Health and Life Sciences building is the largest on the Arnold campus. It opened in August 2021. 

Some students said the building is a useful learning environment.

“We’ve been into the greenhouse a couple of times for the different plants,” Janelle Kellison, a second-year environmental policy and science student, said. “And I’ve also been into the Biology Department, where I got to see the different types of cells and also they have, like, huge aquariums that you’re able to analyze the water.” 

First-year elementary education student Miriam Zorc agreed.

“I don’t know, [I] just like the more modern environment,” Miriam Zorc, a first-year elementary education student, said. “I feel like it’s been better learning. … The greenhouse is beautiful. It’s really a cool experience to have that on campus to like, really see it and have our stuff growing right next door.” 

The building has 18 labs for biology and 20 for health and sciences.

“I love how open it is and how there’s so many different resources like the tutoring center, you’re able to go to for any class, whether it’s environmental, chemistry or anatomy,” Janelle Kellison, a second-year environmental policy and science student, said. “And there’s a bunch of resources throughout the building where you’re able to access any teachers that you like, and they’ve been very helpful.”

Students said they can make friends easier in the building.

“There’s buildings …  especially like the Careers building, when I’m in there studying [and] nobody talks to me,” Cheynne Winters, a second-year transfer studies student, said. “I’m like crouched in a corner in this uncomfortable chair. Nobody talks to you at all.” 

Ella Woovery, a first-year fine arts student, said she “literally met [her] friend group here. So I kind of owe this building that.” 

Students said they enjoy the multiple food options in the building.

“It’s great,” Charles Moody, a second-year transfer studies student, said. “Love the vending machines. They’re easily accessible. And they’re full of all types of goodies from chargers, to headphones to snacks.” 

The Health and Life Science building has a Chick-fil-A on the first floor and will get a fresh food vending machine in April.

One student said he likes the way he feels in the building. 

“Well, this one feels like it’s not dead,” Jason Doto, a graphic design student, said. “And the Student Union, when I go in there, I just get like this overwhelming sense of like, depression and sadness, because it just feels very mediocre, and … not very fun.”