Students do less driving, socializing to afford gas

Frank Fitzgeralde Libom

Students say $50 gasoline bills are preventing them from spending money on socializing and eating out.

Jayden Flood and Vance Wild, Reporters

AACC students said Wednesday they are paying up to $50 to fill their gas tanks.

In a informal poll of 33 students on the Arnold campus, drivers said the high price of gas has caused them to stop buying fast food, limit social activities and drive less.

“I have to cherish travel,” said Barbara Tikka, a nursing student who drives up to 20 minutes to get to campus.

Gas prices have jumped since Russia invaded Ukraine, and some countries, including the United States, have stopped importing Russian oil.

The average price of a gallon of gas in the U.S. set an all-time record on Tuesday, March 8, at $4.17 per gallon and is expected to continue to rise through the summer. In Annapolis, the price of gas on Tuesday was $4.192 per gallon, according to AAA.

Students said they have begun carpooling and working more hours  to keep up with rising costs.

First-year elementary education student Cassie Barbra said she has had to work more hours to help pay for gas.

“So I don’t have as much time for schoolwork,” she said, “So actually, I’ve never turned in an assignment late and now I have three.”

Barbra isn’t the only student having problems at school because of rising gas prices.

“So today I had a geology midterm, and my car ran out of gas,” first-year biology student Izzy Smith said, “… and I missed my midterm.”

Some students said they’re unable to leave the house as often.

“I can’t just go out to grab something or go to the store just for fun to go shopping, whatever,” first-year marketing student Marcel Trotman said “Now everything … [is] more of a necessity and not for any type of personal benefit.”