Riverhawks’ spring sports season kicks off

Frank Fitzgeralde Libom

Midfielder Sam Barrett, a second-year business student, practices ahead of the lacrosse team’s season opener. The team’s first game is Feb. 26.

Dan Elson, Editor-in-Chief

AACC spring sports teams kicked off their season on Thursday with two losses in a baseball double header at Richard Bland College in Virginia.

The first men’s lacrosse game is on Feb. 26 against Army Prep. The first golf tournament will be at the College of Southern Maryland on March 31. Softball and women’s lacrosse travel to New Jersey March 6 for their first games.

“We’re feeling great about the upcoming season [with a] talented group of new players as well as a very strong group of returners,” men’s lacrosse coach Joe Stanilaus said.

Baseball 

To start the season, the Riverhawks’ baseball team has 22 players on the roster.

Still, head coach Nick Hoffner said the team is inexperienced.

“We have a lot of newcomers,” Hoffner said. “So it’ll be interesting to see how long guys [take to] adjust to the college game.”

Still, Hoffner said he’s excited for the team to compete against others.

First-year physical therapy student Eric Hall, who plays outfield, said he has made progress in his game from the last fall season.

“The focus is just keep putting the pedal to the metal,” Hall said.

Softball

Softball head coach Guy Klingensmith said the team’s strength is the experience of the six women who returned to the team after playing last year.

Its weakness, however, is a shortage of players. Nine are on the roster.

“The [six women] did well in the region last year,” Klingensmith said. “They know the competition coming up. They know what they have to work at and look at and they’re preparing really solid so far.”

Klingensmith said the game plan is to do well on offense, move people around and score some runs.

Second-year exercise science student Jaclyn Nevins, who pitches and plays shortstop, is one of the returning players.

“I really hope that I can put my all forward and everybody else do the same and make it a good, hard-fought season,” Nevins said.

Men’s Lacrosse

Stanilaus said his goal for the season is to “make sure we get 1% better every day.”

Team captain Trevor Collier, whose position is attack, is one of the returners.

“[The] first couple practices, we’re looking pretty solid,” Collier, a second-year business administration student, said. “A lot of guys have a lot of talent. It’s just a matter of building [chemistry] right now. Every practice is better so far. So I think that this season, we’ll have a pretty solid lineup.”

Collier also said some players on the 25-member team have stood out during practice.

“We’re bringing high intensity to every practice,” Collier said. “[We are] working every day on perfecting our ball movement and chemistry as a team to help our success before the regular season starts.”

Women’s Lacrosse 

Women’s lacrosse head coach Jim Griffiths said he is happy to have a season after two years of not playing because of the pandemic.

“Some of [the women haven’t] really played in two years,” Griffiths said. “I know they’re extremely excited to get back out and get a chance to compete. Everybody [is] really looking forward to [the season].

Griffiths said he is optimistic about the upcoming season.

“I think we have quite a bit of talent,” Griffiths said of his 15-player team. “It’s … going to be a matter of how things gel.”

Second-year nursing student Lacey Hinkle, who plays defense and midfield, agreed.

“Everybody brings something to the table,” Hinkle, who also played last year, said. “It’s not just one or two people. It’s everybody in a collaborative effort that can make a difference.”

Hinkle said the team’s game plan is to work together on defense, be patient on offense and make the most out of opportunities on the field.

Golf

AACC’s golf team has a new coach.

“I’m extremely excited about this,” coach Dave O’Donnell said. “The team is so enthusiastic about playing. They’re itching to get outside as quickly as we can.”

Eight golfers are on the team.

O’Donnell said the goal is to qualify for nationals.

Second-year business administration student David Henderson, who is 37, said hopes to be a leader for the younger players.

“I think it’s going to be interesting to see how we are when we start and how we’ll progress in the season,” Henderson said. “I have a feeling that we might start off kind of slow, especially since the weather is so cold right now. But I think once we get to the rhythm of the season, I think that we are going to end up being pretty competitive, and I’m excited to see where it goes.”