Where Are They Headed: Kira Evans

By Miguel Valarino

Kira Evans and friend

High school: South River High School Transferred to Wye River during the middle of eleventh grade
Graduated: 2014
Year at AACC: First year

Q: What is your major?
A: No real specific thing in art.

Q: How did you get into art?
A: Ever since I was really little, I’ve always been drawing and really into art. I was always playing with like dirt and clay and stuff like that so I just kind of kept doing that.

Q: Who is your favorite artist?
A: The first one that comes to mind is Frieda Kahlo. She is awesome.

Q: Why do you like Frieda Kahlo?
A: I like that she went through so much and she was a queer woman and she was disabled and she made a the most beautiful paintings in my opinion.

Q: What all did she go through?
A: She was chronically ill and she was queer and she had a husband for a while and she slept around a lot with women. She frequently would get in fights and she was very nonconforming at the time. And she was just really cool.

Q: Where are you hoping to transfer to?
A: I’m really hoping to transfer to SCAD. Savannah College of Art and Design. I’ve been to Savannah a couple of times.

Q: What do you like about it?
A: I really like the environment. It really has a lot of history…candy shops and I’m a weird sweet tooth person that eats candy like, all of the time.

Q: What are you hoping to figure out by taking classes here at AACC?
A: I don’t know. I don’t necessarily want to narrow. I’m just kinda want to refine what it is that I do because I’m pretty sporadic in what I do. I do sculpture. I really like tattoo art, graphic design. I just like pretty much everything from like cooking to carving. Its pretty out there.

Q: What was high school like for you?
A: For a long time it was not great. I was going through a lot. I have a couple mental illnesses. I have extreme anxiety and severe depression and a menagerie of other issues. I was having panic attacks all the time and so I transferred over to Wye River.

Q: What is Wye River?
A: It is a high school for kids with ADHD and behavioral issues.

Q: What was it like?
A: It was kind of odd for me because I went from having a friend group of pretty much all girls to a school that had like a total of five girls…I was an experience. And then I graduated and I have been doing a lot of art…well not art. I’ve been doing a lot of procrastinating.

Q: What was school like for you in general?
A: I was bullied a lot. Mostly in middle school. It wasn’t as bad in high school. Middle school was bad. I was beat up a lot. I was the weird kid with short hair and then I was the gay kid. But then I found a pretty big acquaintance group and I didn’t get bullied quiet as much in high school.

Q: What’s the main difference between AACC and your former high schools?
A: There are so many more people that I can talk to. Like, I couldn’t really talk to many people in my high school about much of anything. There are definitely a couple of friends from high school that I have kind of kept in touch but not a lot. But here I’ve actually made a couple of friends that I might actually keep in touch with and I really like the trees.

Q: How do you feel about Coming out Week?
A: I love it. There were very few people out at my school. It is so strange coming from a place like my high school to a place that is so accepting and that has a GSA [Gay Straight Alliance] that is so big that it might have to change to a bigger room soon because there are so many people.

Q: How would your friends describe you?
A: I don’t know I guess they would say. I guess I’m kind of unpredictable. I can be very happy and friendly and then I can be on the reverse end of that.

Q: Top five musicians that you are listening to right now:
A: Soap and Skin. They’re kind of spooky. I also really like Dead Mans Bones. Hozier. Iamx and…Sia. Sia’s cool.

Q: Give us a fun fact about yourself.
A: Hm…I can’t think of anything…All I keep think about is weird animal facts.

Q: We like animals.
A: I don’t know…Koalas make the same sound as a car horn does.

Kira Evans' would like you to know that koalas make the same sound as car horns.
By Miguel Valarino
Kira Evans’ would like you to know that koalas make the same sound as car horns.