Student-mom: 5 tips for life

Maggie Brown, Reporter

I am a mom and a student who is involved in campus life. My schedule can sometimes become hectic.

Even if you’re not a mom, your schedule as a student may be hectic, too.

I have found some ways to organize my daily life to bring balance into my world since 2008 when I first became a mom.

I would like to share some of the things I have learned with you. I think this might help you navigate student life as we start a new semester.

My top five tips are: Make a schedule, accept help from others, prioritize your mental and emotional health, do not overdo it and be patient.

First, making a schedule will be a lifesaver most days because it will help organize your daily tasks.
My schedule has helped me manage multiple meetings, my work to-do list, and my kids’ school activities all in one day.

The play-by-play direction a schedule provides for me also helps me organize my thoughts and improves my time management skills a lot.

Use your phone reminders and Google calendars, or set periodic alarms for yourself to remind you of daily tasks.

My next biggest tip is to ask for help.

The help that others offer me at times plays a huge part in how I can move throughout my days a little better.

While help is not always readily available, any time it is offered I accept it without feeling like I am somehow letting myself or my children down.

Just say yes to the help.

Next, prioritize your mental and emotional health.

If you are not mentally or emotionally stable, then you are no help to anyone. That includes your children. And that includes you.

Being overwhelmed is normal; however, you should manage it as much as possible when it arises.

To do that, you could talk to your peers, schedule a meeting with your therapist if you have one, make an appointment with school counselors, or even talk to your teachers if you feel comfortable.

I strongly advise against holding things in and trying to deal with everything on your own because what was once a small issue has the potential to manifest into something larger if you do not address it.

Next tip: Don’t overdo it. Overworking yourself in any capacity is harmful.

I don’t recommend taking on more tasks than you are available for because it can throw you off track and cause you to forget something important or slack on something you have the potential to achieve if time allows.

Say no and set boundaries for yourself and others to always follow without bending the rules.

Finally: Be patient with yourself and others because nothing happens overnight.

The skills I have learned have taken me quite some time to apply to my everyday life because I was always in a rush and wanted things done that minute.

Having patience can sometimes improve your mental clarity and help you make more positive and informed decisions.

Maggie Brown is a communications student and a reporter for Campus Current.