AACC to present new spring school events

Pexels photo

SGA will hold events featuring activities like brunch and crafts.

Maggie Brown, Reporter

AACC students will have a variety of events to attend this semester.

The Office of Student Engagement and the Student Government Association are hosting welcome back week for students to attend trivia night Wednesday, stuff-a-buddy on Thursday, and Friday is movie night.

During the first week of February, the Student Government Association will host a brunch where students can play games and create crafts, and learn about financial aid, budgeting and self-care.

“SGA is looking forward to hosting different events,” KyAnna Peterson, SGA’s vice president of diversity and inclusion, said. “I am excited to build off of last semester and see what events we can get students to be more involved in.”

In addition, OSE will partner with the Black History Month Planning Committee to host “Telling Our Stories: An Evening With the Arts,” featuring student and guest performances in February.

Also, that month, the college will bring back the annual Race Card Project, which invites students to write their definitions of race and post them on designated boards around campus for Black History Month.

Another event, virtual Advocacy Day on Feb. 15, will give students a chance to meet some elected state representatives and to advocate for the college.

In March and April, OSE will offer a four-event Diversity Series, featuring a book club, a speaker on ethnography; an ethnic art activity and a student panel.

“I’m always happy about all of the events that we have because we are wholly invested in them,” Amberdawn Cheatham, OSE’s director, said. “I’m particularly excited about our Diversity Series.”

Cheatham said OSE chooses events based on student surveys and feedback about past events.

The Performing Arts Department is planning a few events as well.

Dance Coordinator Robert Kleinendorst said he hopes to have a spring dance concert in the Kauffman Theater at the beginning of May.

And music coordinator Doug Byerly said he’s planning a Black History Month performance for the opera company, which he said he hopes will be in person. Theater director Sean Urbantke said he’s hoping to get his students back in front of an audience this semester with a live performance on campus.

COVID-19 may force the college to cancel some events or move them online, Cheatham said.

“OSE is trying to navigate [the COVID outbreak] and find the safest course of action for students while allowing them to connect with others,” Marlea Brisbane, an OSE leadership and involvement specialist, said.